Sunday 13 November 2011

Character Design: Sidekick Clothing Design

From the Character Biographies. The Sidekick is defined as a 45 year old chubby male who has a genius intellect, but with a cowhearted or "beta" personality.
He provides comic relief to the cartoon, and a foil to the Hero's hard-as-nails, "alpha" personality.


From this I looked at scientist stereotypes, starting from my character design structure ideas post on Individual Stereotypes of a Time Traveller. From that point I looked more into the stereotypes that I believe work best for my character. Particularly the white lab coats, slacks and polished shoes.





Taking away from the last post on the characters' shapes, I created a pose of the sidekick from the front view and developed the clothing choices using it as a reference.





I may either choose one design choice to develop from or mix and match parts of clothing from each design that works most effectively or defines that character best.






One thing I forgot to mention yesterday is that it was also suggested I look into Hanna-Barbera Cartoons for their simplistic style. As well as looking into technological stylisation to the characters to make them more unique, particularly with the hero- as his right arm is augmented, the time travel device and other future props that I will be developing for the characters.
With this thought in mind I'll look more into mechanical devices (like hydraulic machinery), and create designs based on that style.

More on those at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment